- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1Tbsp vegetable broth powder
- 1-1/2 quarts ripe tomatoes, quartered (preferably Roma)
- 1 Tbsp basmati rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1-1/2 Tbsp unrefined cane sugar or honey
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp Morinaga Silken Tofu - Lite Firm, cubed
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, if desired
Bring all ingredients, except tofu and olive oil to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 35 minutes. Remove bay leaf and let cool 15 minutes.
Puree in the container of a blender and pass through a wire mesh strainer to remove the skin and seeds. Blend again with tofu and olive oil until smooth and creamy.
Garnish with additional chopped fresh basil and serve with crackers or croutons.
Garnish with croutons or chopped chives.