- 1 large bunch (about 1 pound) fresh asparagus
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp vegetable broth powder
- 2 leeks (about 2 cups), mostly white parts and some green, sliced thinly
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped small
- 2 shallots, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 package Morinaga Silken Tofu - Lite Firm, pureed to become 3/4 cup by volume
- 1 Tbsp white miso
Cut 2 inches off bottom of asparagus stalks and peel each stalk about 3 inches up, then cut into 2 inch pieces.
Add asparagus and rest of ingredients except tofu and miso to a 4-quart soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook covered for 30 minutes.
Turn off heat, add tofu and miso, and allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes.
Puree the soup in blender until smooth. Pass through wire mesh strainer to remove any remaining stalk fiber. Serve with croutons or chopped chives.