By Akasha Richmond, Health Food Chef to the Stars & Author of The Art of Tofu
"Cutlets" and "Un-chicken Chunks":
Freeze Morinaga Silken Lite Tofu (or original Extra Firm Tofu) for at least 48 hours to get a texture similar to that of a light fish filet. Freeze it for several days for a chicken-like texture. Now you can grill, bake, and even barbecue Morinaga Silken Tofu.
For best results, slices and cubes should be at least 1/4 inch thick. The longer you freeze the tofu, the better the results are likely to be. Slice or cube Morinaga Silken Lite Tofu (or original Extra Firm Tofu); wrap each slice in plastic and freeze for at least 48 hours.
Thaw 1) in the microwave, high for 2-3 minutes OR at 40 percent power for about 4 minutes 2) at room temperature for one hour, or 3) overnight in the refrigerator. Drain and pat dry.
One package Morinaga Silken Tofu makes 1-1/2 cups of puréed tofu. Purée or blend tofu in a food processor or blender. Use for salad dressings, sauces, and soups.
When recipe calls for yogurt, sour cream, or eggs*, use puréed tofu. When recipes call for buttermilk, soymilk, or dairy milk, use the "Mori-Nu Baking Blend" (below) instead of straight puréed tofu for best results.
To replace liquid ingredients, use same amount of puréed tofu or "Baking Blend."
*5 Tbsp. of puréed tofu equal one egg
Mori-Nu Baking Blend
1 package Morinaga Silken Extra Firm Tofu
1 cup water
2 Tbsp. lemon juice or white vinegar
Blend well. Refrigerate in a covered container. Keeps for one week. (1 cup baking blend is equal to 1 cup of liquid ingredients.)
More Ways To Use Tofu:
Use puréed Morinaga Silken Firm Tofu to replace some liquid, egg, or dairy ingredients.
- In homemade or packaged biscuit dough
- Puréed with vegetables or fruits for baby food
- Like buttermilk (use "Baking Blend") for muffin, pancake, or waffle batters.
Use instead of:
- eggs or milk in bread dough
- eggs in cookie dough
- yogurt in fruit shakes or smoothies
- milk in packaged pudding mixes
- cream in puréed soups
- stock in gravy
- cream in sauces
- oil or sour cream in salad dressings
- egg yolks in soufflés
- mayonnaise or sour cream in dips and spreads
- milk in mashed potatoes
Mash Morinaga Silken Extra Firm Tofu and use to make:
- dairy-free ravioli filling
- dairy-free blintz filling
- tofu egg salad
- scrambled "tofu" eggs
- sandwich spreads for kids' lunches
Or use to replace:
- eggs in quiche
- ricotta cheese in lasagna
- cottage cheese in casseroles
- ground meat in stuffings
- feta cheese and eggs in spinach pie
- beans in hummus
If you freeze and thaw cubes of Morinaga Silken Extra Firm Tofu, use instead of:
- Beef in stews
- Lamb in curries
- Chicken in Thai curry
- Shrimp in stir fry dishes
- Chicken in Chinese chicken salad
- Seafood in pasta dishes
- Pork in fried rice
- Beef in tacos, burritos, or enchiladas
- Ground meat in stuffed peppers
- Beef in stroganoff
- Chicken in gumbo
- Ground turkey or beef in chili
- Lobster in Newberg